Monday 27 May 2013

Hospital Swahili..

So, A week and more has passed since I was last here and my Swahili knowledge has not improved drastically.. But I have picked a few more useful phrases that I can use in the hospital and with patients.

When asking about symptoms and side effects, useful phrases could include:

Umetapika? Have you vomitted?
Umetapika damu? Have you vomitted blood?

Unakohoa? Do you have a cough?

Una homa? Do you have a fever?

Unaumwa? Do you have pain?
Unaumwa wapi? Where do you hurt?

Umeharisha? Have you had diarrhoea?
Mara ngapi? How many times?

Instructions to patients that may be needed are:

Fanya hivi. Do this.
Tulia. Relax.
Usisogee. Don't move.
Subiri. Wait.
Kaa. Sit.
Inuka. Sit Up.
Lala kwa mgongo/ubavu/tumbo. Lie on your back/side/stomach.

However, although these words may be needed if techniques and practice were the same as in the UK, I'm unsure of just how necessary they will be whilst I'm in Tanzania. I will have to wait and see in just a few days..!

No comments:

Post a Comment